Thursday, January 9, 2014

Our Holidays Part III

After spending a week in Northeast Montana, we hit the road again.
Our destination...Big Sky, Montana!
We arrived in the late evening with news from the management company that the power had been out all afternoon. (and not because of a storm but because there were too many people in the area and the transformers blew! Or so they thought...who knows what really went wrong!) They assured us it would be back on soon.  Hahaha!!! The temperature outside was only 4 degrees and all we had to keep us warm was a small fire place.  Thank goodness for that, but really, the only warm it gave was right in front of it. After a most frigid and sleepless night we were packing our bags to get out of there, when THE LIGHTS CAME ON. 14 hours after we arrived!
It was a cold beginning, but we decided to stay.  We rang in the New Year and had a FABULOUS time!
*********************************************
I can't remember which river this is... but I had to stop and get a picture.  It was just too pretty.
One night it was snowing and there was no wind.  I have fond memories of playing in the snow after dark (when there was no wind).  It just seems so peaceful and quiet. So, I suited the kids up and took them outside to catch snowflakes on their tongues and hands.
Kalia had a blast!
Kinley and Shane at the Big Sky ski lodge.
Grandma helping Kinley get around.
This was our first attempt to get Kalia skiing.  Kara talked to Kalia about it for a month before we went and she was so excited to go.  But... as you can tell by the picture, moments after we hooked her into her skis, she was petrified!  Kara and Adam in the background, are getting a good laugh!
After much talk, help, and bribing...she was on her way!
Adam and Kara were a big help in Kalia's success!
There is one proud girl and Daddy!
I wish I had an action shot of her going down with no help...but I was too excited and cheering her on.  Once she had a couple successful runs, she was done.  It was short lived...but a good start.  And she says she is ready to go again!
Grandpa and Grandma helped entertain and feed Kinley while Kalia was, "SHREDDING THE SLOPES!"
It felt good to get a couple runs in myself. I haven't gone since 2010.  Gracious!  I guess that's what having a couple of kids will do to you. 
*The view from the top of the first lift.*
My snowboarding buddy.
He traded his board shorts for board pants this New Year.  Glad you could join us Jed!
Adam and Kara
Back at the condo after a day of boarding, Kinley joined uncle Jed in a little relax and unwind time!
The last couple of times we've been to Big Sky we have seen these horses.  They are massive, and beautiful! We had an opportunity to see them again.  
 Maybe someday we'll get to go on the sleigh ride.
************
Boy, that first night was bitter cold.  But, we are so glad it worked out to continue our time in Big Sky.  We had a wonderful time, but it went by way to fast. 
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!
Here's to a year of wonderful and successful adventures!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this! So much fun :)
Auntie Kara

Pamella said...

Their never too young to start skiing. The first few times will be spent just getting used to the idea. Good Job Kalia!